Police killed Oke who last tweeted “Nigeria will not end me”, return body with wheelbarrow to parent

Nigeria is currently losing its young ones as police and soldiers are hunting aggrieved youths who have taken to the streets across the country to register their displeasure over police brutality and bad governance.

Currently trending on social media is the story of Oke Obi, a young Nigerian whose life was cut short by gun shots from the Nigerian police.

Three hours before his death, at 1:54 PM Wednesday, Oke had tweeted via his handle saying “Nigeria will not end me.” Unfortunately, he was killed by the Nigerian agent paid to protect him.

According to reports on social media, Oke was killed in a police station and his lifeless body was later conveyed to his parents in a wheelbarrow.

A video clip seen by 774 showed Oke’s mother crying helplessly as she carries her son’s lifeless body.


While endless tribute messages for Oke are read on Twitter, one Temie-Giwa-Tubosun writes “He designed our blood donor app – the messages you get from us – he designed all these in like 4 days! He was a genius! He was also kinda shy. And so sweet. Oke Obi – Enadhuze!”

She added “I loved Oke. He was sweet, hilarious, and a design genius. As someone who always wanted to be a designer, I looked up to this young guy who could design so well! He worked at LifeBank during Uni breaks. We always kept in touch! Oh Oke! May God comfort your Mom!”

Another Twitter, Wuraola @Jaiye_wuraola says “Oke was one of the best students at Bosworth College International. He was the head boy while I was the head girl. Such an upright guy with good morals and extremely intelligent. Now he is dead!!! This is too much. RIP OKE.

READ  #EndSARS protests, move against the north -Abdullahi Adamu

According to @zirachukwu on Twitter, “Oke had a design interview for today that got postponed. Oke would have gone on to become the best designer in the world but Nigeria cut his dream short. I’m still in shock that my best person in the world has just left me.”

Oke’s case is just one out of more than 50 young lives that have been lost since the beginning of the #Endsars campaign which started two weeks ago in Lagos.

The protest championed by Nigerian youths was a way of registering their aggression against police brutality particularly by the now disbanded unit of the police force, Special Anti-Robbery Squad, popular for its notorious manner of operation.

Several youths were on Tuesday night killed as Nigerian soldiers opened fire at key protest site at Lekki-tollgate of Lagos State, as the government sought to end the two weeks of marches and demonstrations against police brutality that have mushroomed into broader nationwide protest.

Eye witnesses, gathered among hundreds of protesters at the Lekki toll gate were on Instagram live and said that pickup trucks arrived shortly after nightfall and soldiers began to fire tear gas and then live bullets into the crowd. It wasn’t immediately clear how many people had been killed, but each of the witnesses said they saw several bodies littered the road.

Videos posted on social media showed screaming protesters surrounding bloodied corpses, visible through a haze of yellow tear-gas smoke.

Many persons have called out president Muhammadu Buhari, Lagos State governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, APC chieftain, former governor of the state Bola Tinubu and the vice-president Yemi Osibanjo as being responsible for the death of the innocent peaceful protesters who were asking for better government.

READ  What time is it, Nigeria?

May Oke’s soul and that of others died trying to save their beloved country, Nigeria from desperate and heartless leaders rest in peace.

Below are some reactions from Nigerians regarding the death of Oke:

Authors

%d bloggers like this: