The Southeast Governor’s Forum led by the Ebonyi State Governor, Engr. David Umahi, Senators and other Igbo leaders held a meeting today at theLion Building, Enugu State Government House, Enugu to discuss events and come up with actionable and sustainable solutions ,in the light of the spate of events that happened simultaneously in the wake of the hijacking of the #ENDSARS protest by hoodlums and thugs.
Below is the communique issued after they rose from the meeting:
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED BY SOUTHEAST GOVERNORS,
NATIONAL ASSEMBLY MEMBERS, HON. MINISTERS, SOUTH
EAST CLERGY, LEADERSHIP OF TRADITIONAL RULERS, IGBO LEADERS AND WOMEN LEADERS AT THE END OF ITS’ MEETING
HELD ON THURSDAY, THE 29 DAY OF OCTOBER, 2020, AT THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL CHAMBERS, LION BUILDING, GOVERNMENT HOUSE, ENUGU
1. We sympathize with all the victims’ families, including the Police, and other security agencies, as well as all those who lost their loved ones and properties in the recent disturbances that followed the EndSARS agitations;
2. The South East Leaders will engage our youths to ensure a sustainable peace in the South East and a glorious future for our children;
3. Each State in the South East will set up a fund to assist the victims of the crisis, including the Police, the army and other security agencies, as well as civilians;
4. The State Governors are committed to addressing the
concerns of our young people that are peculiar to various States and will engage the Federal Government and their colleagues in other States to address the other issues that are national;
5. We advise all our youths that while our Governors are working hard to meet their demands, the destruction of public and private properties and killing of security agents and civilans will never be allowed to continue. We therefore, direct all lgbos, both in and outside Nigeria, to go about their businesses and should not participate in any form of unlawful protest and criminality.
6. We offer to protect all ethnic groups living in the South East and we thank other parts of Nigeria, for protecting our people in their areas too.