A lot of Nigerians took to Twitter to body shame Angel the 21 year old housemate. Angel alongside other female housemates came into the ‘Shine ya eyes’ Big Brother house on Sunday.
Angel Smith who is a 21 year old girl from Akwa Ibom state was very open to her other housemates. She opened up about her struggles and how she was self-harming at the young age of 14 due to her mental health struggles.
She has gotten a lot of criticism from social media radicals who see her as too old to be 21 and claims her boobs are sagging because she is promiscuous. Popular Twitter Doctor, has taken his time to educate people on the reasons why boobs sag and counter the ideas of many people.
According to him,
sagging breasts is NOT a disease, It does not mean “she’s loose”, It does not mean high body count. It does not mean overpressed boobs. It does not mean oversucked boobs. ALL BOOBS WILL SAG. With age. With time. It is very normal. It is natural.
He also went further to talk about what causes breasts to sag. In his tweets he mentioned that there are reasons breasts sag. But many times, there are no reasons- it is simply the effect of age and big size.
As a woman gets older, Or if a woman has big boobs,
the breasts will sag. Bottomline: ALL BREASTS WILL SAG. It is unintelligent to expect breasts to stand forever. For many women, there are NO REASONS found for sagging. For some women, it’s simply because the breasts are big and it is due to being overweight. For some women, it’s simply because of age. As they grow older, it sags. For some, it runs in families. Respect these women pls.
According to Piedmont, an online healthcare platform, breast sagging is one of the many natural body changes women experience as they age. The female breasts are made of fat and ligaments, but lack muscle tissue, so there is no amount or type of exercise that will strengthen the breasts. However, according to Barry Roseman, M.D., a Piedmont breast surgeon and surgical oncologist, if women are aware of the contributing factors, they can take preventive measures to avoid excessive sagging.
Causes of breast sagging
Here are some of the reasons Dr. Roseman says breasts sag:
- Aging. As a woman gets older, the ligaments that make up the breast tissue stretch and lose elasticity. As a result, breast fullness is compromised as the underlying support system of tissue and fat diminishes. A change may be particularly evident during menopause.
- Gravitational pull. Years of gravitational pull takes its toll, especially on women with larger breasts.
- Lack of proper support. Wearing a supportive bra is important to maintaining breast shape and lift. “Lack of proper support will take its toll over a 30- to 40-year period. I highly recommend women get professionally fitted for a supportive bra at a lingerie or department store that offers this service,” Dr. Roseman says.
- Smoking. Carcinogens in cigarette smoke cause elastin to break down in the body. These elastin fibers are responsible for skin elasticity throughout the body.
- Sunburn. Ultraviolet rays damage the skin and cause loss of elasticity as well.
- Weight gain. Major fluctuations in weight can cause unnecessary stretching of the breasts. Maintaining a healthy weight will help women avoid the progression of unnecessary stretching.